Designed by Philip Birnbaum and built in 1946-47, the six-story-and-basement Carlton House is one of several apartment buildings constructed in the post-World War II era of development in Jackson Heights.
Continuing the trend of the pre-War years, it is a large building planned with lightcourts which break up the mass into five sections. This configuration suggests a cohesive group of buildings along the blockfront, reminiscent of the Jackson Heights garden apartments of the 1920s. There is a parking garage under the building (a vehicular entrance is located at each end) and a small front garden.
A late interpretation of the Moderne style, the brick building is distinguished by the horizontal emphasis of massing, evident in the deep center and corner terraces trimmed with brick courses and white coping. The building is entered at the central section through a polished metal and marble frontispiece with a geometric metal marquee. There are also a few classicizing ornamental elements, including applied stone acanthus leaves and fretwork panels. Some of the terraces have been enclosed. –nyc.gov
Elevator Apartments / Cooperative (D4) / Owned by JAXBORO CORP / 145 units / Community District 403 / City Council District 25 / Police Precinct 115 / Block/lot: 1446/45 / Apartment Building / 6 stories with basement / Philip Birnbaum, Architect / Moderne (Post-World War II) / W. & H. Walker, Developer
Photography/Graphics/Digital Media ©copyright ArmenKojoyianDesign, all rights reserved