Designed by William Hohauser and built in 1947-48, The Monroe House is one of several apartment buildings constructed in the post-World War II era of development in Jackson Hts. Continuing the trend of the pre-War years, it is a large building on a mid-block site and planned wim two lightcourts which break up its long street front into three sections.
The brick facades of The Monroe House feature a modest application of Georgian-inspired ornamental details, limited to stone stringcourses at the base and top, an intermediate decorative brick band course, and small classically- inspired stone plaques at the parapet. The entrance, located in the wide central section, is cut into a broad cast-stone facing. –nyc.gov
Elevator Apartments / Cooperative (D4) / Owned by 35-21 79ST Tenants Corp / 82 units / Community District 403 / City Council District 25 / Police Precinct 115 / Block/lot: 1279/58 / Type: Apartment / 6 stories with basement / William Hohauser, Architect / Neo-Georgian (post-World War II) / Apartment Building Corp, Developer
Photography/Graphics/Digital Media ©copyright ArmenKojoyianDesign, all rights reserved